A IEEE Virtual Reality 2018 Workshop
March 18/19 2018, Reutlingen, Germany
Sonic interaction design is defined as the study and exploitation of sound as one of the principal channels conveying information, meaning, and aesthetic/ emotional qualities in interactive contexts. This field lies at the intersection of interaction design and sound and music computing.
In the virtual reality community, the focus on research in topics related to auditory feedback has been rather limited when compared, for example, to the focus placed on visual feedback or even on haptic feedback. However, in communities such as the film community or the product sound design community it is well known that sound is a powerful way to communicate meaning and emotion to a scene or a product.
The main goal of this workshop is to increase among the virtual reality community the awareness of the importance of sonic elements when designing virtual/augmented/mixed reality (VR/AR/MR) environments. We will also discuss how research in other related fields such as film sound theory, product sound design, sound and music computing, game sound design and computer music can inform designers of VR/AR/MR environments. Moreover, the workshop will feature state of the art research on the field of sound for VR/AR/MR environments.
Submissions of research papers outlining ongoing researches in the field of interactive sound for virtual environments are welcome.
Topics can include, but are not limited to:
- Sound synthesis and design for VR/AR/MR environments
- Sound modelling and rendering for VR/AR/MR environments
- Multisensory (audio-visual and/or audio-haptics) interactions and 3DUI
- Gestural control and action-sound mapping in VR/AR/MR
- Perception-action loop in multimodal VR/AR/MR
- Sound spatialisation and auralization
- Binaural sound and head-related transfer functions
- Headphones and speakers reproduction
- Mobile VR/AR/MR applications and technologies of interactive sonification
- Evaluation of user experience and sound quality
- Industrial design and prototyping of VR/AR/MR software and hardware supporting research in sound (product design, ergonomics, human-machine interfaces)
The SIVE 2018 workshop is supported by the Sound and Music Computing network: http://smcnetwork.org
The submission website is: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sive18 (opening near abstract submission deadline)
- Papers should be 4-6 pages in length and prepared using the IEEE Computer Society conference style format described at: http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~vis/Tasks/camera.html . For accepted papers, authors must prepare a 20-25 minute oral presentation to be delivered during the workshop.
- Posters should be 2-4 pages in length and prepared according to the same template.
Accepted papers will be included in the IEEE VR Workshop Proceedings and will be published on IEEE Xplore Digital Library (Scopus indexing service).
- Abstract submission deadline: January 25th, 2018
- Paper submission deadline: February 1st, 2018
- Notification of acceptance: February 10th, 2018
- Camera-ready: March 1st, 2018
- Date of the event: March 18th/19th, 2018
Michele Geronazzo (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Stefania Serafin (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Cumhur Erkut (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Niels Christian Nilsson (Aalborg University Copenhagen)
Francesco Grani (HERE Technologies GmbH)
Federico Avanzini (University of Milano)